COVID-19 Corona Virus South African Resource Portal -

Success! Subscription added

Success! Subscription deleted

Licensing and Developments Made Easy

Let us help you navigate new site development opportunities and licensing requirements for a service station

The South African fuel retail industry is highly regulated with complex administrative processes that need to be completed before a Site and Retail License can be issued to the prospective service station owner.  

Three sets of approvals are required before a new service station can be developed: 

  • Land use rights for purposes of a service station;  

  • An environmental authorization; and  

  • Site and Retail licenses  

The prospective service station owner must also consider key elements associated with developments. For example, the new service station’s proximity to nearby competition, how the development of a new service station will influence an existing business in the area and how many litres the business is projected to sell per month? Will the new business make the minimum service station litres as per RAS Benchmark service station (BSS)?  

We are experienced and efficient in the preparation and submission of Site and Retail License applications to the Department of Energy. PetroCONNECT provides end-to-end solutions for Site and Retail Licenses in line with the Department of Energy according to the requirements of the Petroleum Products Act, to deliver license approvals within acceptable time periods.  

Applications to the Department of Energy (DOE)

Have us facilitate the Change-of-Hands process (Retail License Applications)

Acquiring a Site and Retail license for an existing service station where land has been sold is relatively easy with the right administrative support and applications lodged with the Department of Energy. In the event that the site has also been purchased, PetroCONNECT can facilitate application with Department of Energy to transfer the site license to the new owner. This is called a site transfer application. This will also be relevant when the buyer takes over a business from the previous owner. According to the Petroleum Products Act this is regarded as a “change-of-hands” and a new retail license application is required. Have a reliable service provider guide you through this process to avoid any unnecessary delays or administrative errors. If you buy or sell a site through PetroCONNECT, this service is offered free of charge. 

Register your interest

End-to-end Solutions for Developing a Site

We offer the following services and solutions:

  • Retail and Site License Applications. 

  • Traffic Count and Empirical Report. 

  • Environmental Clearance. 

  • Business zoning from Municipality/Local chief in the case of community land. 

  • Lease agreements. 

  • Franchise agreements (where applicable). 

  • Business Plan and 5 year projections. 

  • Facilitate wholesale license applications/all petroleum industry licenses.

  • Publications for public comment and participation. 

  • Site visits/inspection by numerous experts. 

Register your interest